Friday, June 24, 2011

What about a life with some principles?

This blog is an outcome of long informal conversation I was having with my colleague Priyanka in the early office hours on the values and principles which the present generation is lacking and compromise on them. It is especially sad to see girls compromise on them, not that boys are allowed to do so. But the image of men has for long been debilitated and now the pointer is turning towards girls. It is my belief that a girl can do wonders to change the world, atleast her family, to a better place to live in.

The idea of values, morals and principles is confusing to my generation. And they better like to stay out of it. I am not generalizing the statements and no offences to anyone, but this is what comes from my experiences with a number of people I have seen and known around. And this blog comes from my heart!!

Being religious is easy, you have to pray and the whole onus is on God to keep you emotionally and financially strong. If something wrong happens, it is easy to blame God. And for wishing something good, it is easy to ask God for help. But as the saying goes – “God helps those who help themselves” is hardly cared for by the present gen. Girls depend emotionally, financially and physically so much on boys that this saying is just proved right. Not that it is wrong or I am against it, but the right judgment and use of rational brain lacks in the process. That is just one harsh example.

I want to give an example of my Mom here. I am inspired totally with my Mom who has been a strong headed woman and has done excellently well not just at work but also at home. If I recall her daily schedule when I was a child, she used to get up at 4 o’clock in the morning, do her regular exercise, cook for the family – breakfast as well as lunch, have breakfast with us and read news paper, get fresh, go to office, work there, come back home. By the time my Dad used to prepare evening tea and we used to have it together in evening. I and my sister used to cuddle our mom since the whole day we were just looking at the clock to tick 6, when my mom would come. That was not the end of the day since she would get ready to cook dinner and then watched TV together and family talks. And doing in all that, I have never ever missed the smile on my Mom’s face. Her lifestyle may though seem a burden for the present generation girls and feminists but I feel my Mom is my role model now who has taught me to adapt to all the conditions and survive well out of them. And she hasn’t taught me this in words but in practice. By seeing her do all that, I feel when she can do why can’t i? More than that, I have respect for her dedication and giving nature and whenever I go home now, I make sure that she relaxes and doesn’t just work alone all day. She has earned that respect and love from me and my Dad and from the whole family.

Her dedication and motivation to work all day around taught me a number of things ranging from self discipline to punctuality, ownership of things to sense of responsibility, devotion to life with principles and being happy all the time.

I see my generation girls lacking on these basic things – like values, contentment, sense of responsibility, and ownership of things, which are very vital for a happy and content survival. The seeds of these values and principles need to be sown from the very beginning or one should learn from one’s experiences of life and behave more mature, responsible and a cultured citizen. But my generation believes in living in present without caring for future. Without caring that our present determines what we will be in future. Enjoying life is great but not to the extent of compromising on one’s principles.

My words may sound too moral and idealistic but a life without morals/ values is worthless. No offences to anyone, these are totally my views and opinions.

Well, I am sure to have confused the readers of my blog, but that is what the whole intention was so as to provoke your thoughts on this. What do you feel about this? What about a life with principles?

The principle could be as simple as I don’t have to form stereotypes about people; I don’t need to lie to the one’s I love because if they love me they will never leave me; I don’t need to party late just because I will otherwise be out of my group; I have to deal with challenges and not run away from them; I shouldn’t forget the love and care of my parents as I grow up and develop relations with others; I will respect all come what may, not for their opinions but as a person; I will give some time to myself in a day and read, write or do whatever I like; My any action should not be disturbing to the other person and I will be cautious about it and take care of it; I will not be rude even if situation demands me too I will keep my calm. Once set one must not compromise on them and make them the guiding principles to lead one’s life happily and we will have a better reason to live a worthy life with dignity.

These things are learnt with experiences and I myself am learning about these and trying to develop my own principles.

We commit mistakes, learn from them but let us not commit the mistakes again and again as if we never learned from them. Let us just give it a thought.

P.S: This is not a gender specific topic, so male readers can put their views and comments too.

1 comment:

  1. aunty wala part was too touchy....:) wonderful piece and yes u r absolutely correct babes :)

    ReplyDelete